The site is situated within the former Morača military barracks and occupies central position in the Capital City. Therefore, it is extremely important to valorise this area by creating new spatial content and a zone that will become a cultural centre of the city.
The objective of the Competition is to select a Competition solution that will provide the highest quality proposals for urban design of the space, with a conceptual architectural design of the Museum of Contemporary Art, Natural History Museum, House of Architecture and the Park of Culture and Art. Other cultural content should be developed from a master plan perspective and an architectural design should be elaborated. Additionally, participants are expected to offer a solution that, through its representatives, design and materialization, contributes to the transformation of the visual identity of both the immediate and wider urban center.
Competition is open from Friday, 10 November 2023.
Deadline for submission of entries is 23:59h (local Montenegro time) on Thursday, February 15, 2024.
The results of the Competition will be announced by Tuesday, March 26, 2024.
Following the decision of the Jury and submission of the Final report of the Jury, the Competition Announcer shall publish the results of the Competition on the official website of the Competition: www.architecturalcompetitions.me.
The members of the Competition Jury are:
1. Vladan Stevović, M.Arch., Chief State Architect in the Ministry of Ecology, Spatial Planning and Urbanism of Montenegro - President of the Jury;
2. Vladislav Šćepanović, director of the Museum of Contemporary art of Montenegro – member;
3. Dominique Perrault, Dominique Perrault Architecture – expert member;
4. Odile Decq, Studio Odile Decq – expert member;
5. Maurizio Meossi, Zaha Hadid Architects. – expert member;
6. Robert Schmitz, White Arkitekter – expert member;
7. Mike Wood, studio ARUP, expert member.
First prize - EUR 100.000,00
Second prize - EUR 50.000,00
Third prize - EUR 26.000,00
Three honourable mentions EUR 8.000,00 each
The Right to Participate:
The competition is open to all legal and natural persons residing or having their registered office within the territory of Montenegro, as well as individuals and entities residing or having their registered office in another country, provided they meet the following qualifications for recognition:
1. At least one member of the authoring team must hold a license as a certified architectural engineer for the design of structures (licensed architect).
2. At least one member of the authoring team must have received an award in an international architectural competition for a public facility (museum, theatre, opera house, cultural centre, educational facility, healthcare facility, public administrative facility, etc.).
3. At least one member of the authoring team must be a graduate landscape architect.
The following invited participants are eligible to participate in the competition:
1. Sou Fujimoto
2. Junya Ishigami
3. Diller scofidio + renfro
5. Henning Larsen
Deadline for questions:
All participants can submit questions about the Competition until Tuesday, 12 December 2023, and after that, all questions received and answers will be published on the website www.arhitecturalcompetitions.me until Friday, 29 December 2023.
Questions should be sent to:
All interested participants are required to register for participation in the competition.
Registration period: November 10, 2023, to December 25, 2024.
To complete the registration, it is necessary to send the following to the email address [email protected] :
1. Participation request.
2. Full name of the lead author along with a copy of the license as a certified architectural engineer for designing structures.
3. Proof of having received an award in an international architectural competition for a public facility (museum, theatre, opera house, cultural centre, educational facility, healthcare facility, public administrative facility, etc.). The proof can include, for example, the jury's decision, or a certificate, or a link to the official website where the competition results are published, or any other document that clearly identifies the author who received the award.
4. Full name of the graduate landscape architect (a member of the authoring team) along with a copy of their license or diploma.
After the Ministry reviews the documentation, the author will receive an email confirming eligibility to participate in the competition, along with an access token. This access token will be used to generate the author's token on the website www.architecturalcompetitions.me . The generated author's token is anonymous, unique, known only to the author, and must serve as the competition entry token.
To complete the registration, it is necessary to send a confirmation of participation in the competition to the email address [email protected] .
The author will receive an email confirming the receipt of the confirmation and an access token. This access token will be used to generate the author's token. The generated author's token is anonymous, unique, known only to the author, and must serve as the competition entry token.
Participants who do not complete this procedure will not be eligible to participate in the competition.